Updated 2 April 2017
ORDERING YOUR TS-590SG
When you order your brand new TS-590SG, don’t forget to consider the following options:
1. The SO-3 High Stability Crystal Controlled Oscillator (TCXO): Improve the radio’s stability to +/- 0.5 ppm with the Kenwood SO-3 TCXO module.
2. The Voice Guide and Storage Unit (VGS-1): Save brief voice messages for transmission with the Kenwood VGS-1 module. Also helpful for sight-impaired users.
3. The “Transmit on All Bands” option: This option is necessary if you live outside North America and want to transmit on the 60m (5 MHz) band. The “option” involves snipping a link inside the radio and resetting the radio. Your dealer will do this on request before shipping the TS-590SG to you, provided “Transmit on all Bands” is permitted in your local license jurisdiction. (Much easier to have the dealer do it first, rather than shipping the radio back afterwards just for “the snip”).
(If you live in North America, the radio is already configured and ready to go on the US 60m channels).
AFTER RECEIVING YOUR TS-590
When you have received and unpacked your brand new TS-590SG, don’t forget to do the following:
1. Get to know the TS-590SG section of the Resources Page: In the rest of this section you will find all the known Kenwood documentation and software for the radio collected together for easy reference.
2. Read the TS-590SG documentation: Click on the “TS-590SG DOCUMENTATION” menu for almost everything you need to know about the radio. Hint: Print the Instruction Manual PDF file and save it in a binder. Much easier to turn the pages, and you can write notes all over the copy. (Then you can preserve the original manual in pristine condition for if you ever decide to sell the radio ….)
3. Try the TS-590SG software: Click on the “TS-590SG SOFTWARE” menu for all of Kenwood’s software for the radio. You will need the Virtual COM Port (VCP) software to support serial communication via the USB cable, and ARCP-590G to control the radio from your PC. Note: ARCP-590G is not the same as ARCP-590 (ARCP-590 is for controlling the older TS-590S, and will not work with the TS-590SG).
When you run ARCP-590G, learn how to backup the radio’s settings (in ARCP-590G click on “Files > Save Settings and Write Settings”). You will need to backup the radio before you install a firmware update.
4. Get to know the “COMMON” section of the Resources Page: This section contains much information that is broadly common to the TS-590SG and TS-590S. This includes HOWTOs, Hints and Tips, General TechNotes, Third-Party Software and a large section on Amplifiers.
5. Make a note of your radio’s serial number: The serial number is on a label just below the ANT2 connector on the rear panel of the radio.
The serial number begins with a two-character year code (“B4” = 2014, “B5” = 2015, “B6” = 2016, “B7” = 2017).
The third character, in the range 1-9, A, B or C, represents the month of manufacture in that year (“B41″ = January 2014, B49” = September 2014, “B4A” = October 2014, “B4C” = December 2014.
The remaining 5 digits represent the number of the unit produced that month.
For a table showing months of manufacture from initial TS-590SG introduction, click on the “TS-590SG HOW MANY?” button.
6. Above all, remember you are not alone: There are already many thousands of TS-590SG/TS-590S owners throughout the world, many of whom are members of the two TS-590 Yahoo discussion groups. For details, click on “MISCELLANEOUS”, then on the “YAHOO DISCUSSION GROUPS” sub-menu. If you need help, just ask in one or both of the groups.